Here’s my list of 5 top tips for using Twitter effectively to build your on-line presence.
- Keep Tweets Short
- Use Hashtags
- Use images
- Add a Call to Action
- Don’t Oversell
Here’s the details behind each of these:
1. Keep Tweets Short
- Just because you have 140 characters doesn’t mean you have to use them.
- If you use up all the characters that doesn’t leave any space for retweeters to add additional commentary or calls to action
- Keep it short – to get your tweets read
- Short tweets are 17% more likely to get engagement than long tweets
2. Use 1 or 2 Hashtags
- Less than 25% of brands are using hashtags in their tweets. But hashtags receive twice the amount of engagement.
- Hashtags are a great way for new followers to find relevant content.
- Don’t use too many hashtags – or the engagement level will drop
3. Use Images
- A picture is worth a thousand words and they really capture your attention.
- Tweets with pictures or links receive twice the engagement as text only tweets.
4. Add A Call to Action
- Asking the community to retweet really does work on Twitter.
- Tweets with “RT” or “Retweet” receive 12x higher shares.
5. Don’t Oversell
- Twitter is about connecting and sharing
- It’s old to promote your products and activities, but don’t oversell
- Too much selling will drive your followers away.
The Twitter Cheat sheet is from Buddy Media and is a useful reminder to have on your desk when you’re creating your Twitter Content.